Art Community Forum | EBSQ Self-Representing Artis Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Im A New Artist Here!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Official EBSQ Stuff] >> Tech Support >> Im A New Artist Here! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Im A New Artist Here! - 4/14/2009 8:51:47 AM   
charlesartist

Hello,
Im glad to be a part of this wonderful online community.

Can anyone help me with these issues?

1)Where can I find good info on promoting my artwork and getting it in front of the eyeballs of as many collectors as possible? ;) Seriously are there any sections or threads dedicated to promotions? Otherwise/Also can anyone share links and info about the same off-site, etc?

2)Can I start my own thread in the paintings section dedicated to my own work and posting new work there continually? I see more topical issues in that thread, (which is great btw!) but I would like to feature all new works and share them on the forum. Ok? Not Ok? LMK

Ive taken down my online portfolio but you can find out a little about me and see my work by visiting my ebay about me page:

http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=charles1553

The above link has work based on movie characters. Im aware of the EBSQ guidelines and Im going to phase out that kind of work in favor of the kind below. This is my original work and concept and its available on ebay now...

Mermaid and Sea Turtle
4 x 6 inches
Acrylics
Post #: 1
RE: Im A New Artist Here! - 4/14/2009 10:22:31 AM   
Harlan

Welcome to the forums, Charles!!!

Beautiful mermaid and turtle!!!

1) There are forums in the member only areas on promoting art work. We're all trying to find ways to promote our work and there are no simple solutions. You should be able to find some useful information in those forums. You can try placing your work on sites like Etsy, Bonanzle, ArtFire, ArtbyUs - there are many online venues, some are free, some are not.

2) You could start a thread for your own work in the Painting Forum and continually add to it. Most of us tend to post our latest work in the Shameless Self-Promotion Forum creating a new thread for each piece or sometimes in threads in the medium specific forums.  There isn't a rule about that.

You're unique! Just like everyone else. ;)
CraftArtEdu
Flickr

(in reply to charlesartist)
Post #: 2
RE: Im A New Artist Here! - 4/14/2009 10:29:57 AM   
bromley2

Welcome, Charles!  Most of us use Shameless Self-promotion as a section for posting new work.....Looking forward to seeing more of your work.  I like the mermaid here a lot.....how well do you do on ebay?  I try to sell there, but it has been slow.  sigh.

Carolyn

http://www.moondancedesign.com
EBAY
My Bonanzle Booth

(in reply to Harlan)
Post #: 3
RE: Im A New Artist Here! - 4/14/2009 10:39:33 AM   
platypus

Hi Charles,

Welcome, your work is really wonderful!

Re. posting your own thread in paintings - generally that section is more for painting related questions & discussions (as you noted). We have a section here called "shameless self promotion" that is more geared towards what you're looking for. On the other hand, that topic is public so I can see why you would want to post your work there as opposed to "self promotion" which is only seen by members. I believe there was some discussion about making that public (or a similar section) but I'm not sure what became of that idea, I'll follow up on it.

I see you have a lot of your work on your ebay page, which is a great idea. Unfortunately self promotion has never been my strong point so I'm probably not the best one to help you with this, but I can offer a few suggestions. One ebay-related way to have your work seen by a larger audience would be to join some of the artist groups & participate in their monthly contests & challenges (such as Nibblefest, which I happen to run, or the ACEO groups, etc.), it's a good way to get exposure since a lot of people will check out those contests. Another idea is to participate in Illustration Friday (I think it's illustrationfriday.com), I've done a few of those & gotten tons of hits. You would need a site to link to though, which leads me to my next suggestion of starting an artist's blog. Then there are other sites you can sell your work on, such as etsy and bonanzle. If you don't mind paying for exposure, you could try something like creativeshake.com (formerly portfolios.com), they have a paid service as well as a free service. I haven't had any luck there but you might.

Can I ask why you took down your online portfolio? You should definitely use the portfolio which EBSQ membership provides, that is viewable by the general public.

Vicky

Wibbley World Art Blog

Post #: 4
RE: Im A New Artist Here! - 4/14/2009 11:01:10 AM   
imakeart

Hi Charles and welcome to the forums. Hope you put your profile back up. I would love to see more of your Art.

The Mermaid and Sea Turtle is beautiful!

Amanda :-)

web:www.amandamakepeace.com
deviantART:MakepeaceArt

(in reply to platypus)
Post #: 5
RE: Im A New Artist Here! - 4/14/2009 11:37:23 AM   
platypus

OK I just read your bio on your ebay page, I think I should be asking YOU for tips, lol! Your background is very impressive (didn't Mark Ryden go to the Art Center College of Design too?) I'm looking forward to seeing more of your pop surrealism work.

Wibbley World Art Blog

(in reply to platypus)
Post #: 6
RE: Im A New Artist Here! - 4/14/2009 11:45:57 AM   
I love your style

There is a lot of pimping going on at face book. If you have a large network there it works well. Join lots of non art related groups and take part in discussions on the groups page and you will get a few people want to friend you from each group (if it doesn't sound like you are there to promote yourself) As you collect friends in your network you can post what you have just painted or what you have put up for sale (with a link to ebay or etsy)

If you post your work on deviant art and check off that you are willing to sell prints or tshirts you might make some residual sales. Printed aceos of your work might do well on etsy if you haven't tried that yet. Doing a blog helps draw in new viewers of your work if you use the right key words and you have lots of links leading to your blog and plaster it all around like in your signature line here and on facebook, myspace, etsy etc.

Hope to see more of your work

(in reply to imakeart)
  Post #: 7
RE: Im A New Artist Here! - 4/14/2009 1:12:18 PM   
labeana

welcome to the EBSQ forums, Charles, your work is outstanding!

MY BLOG

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 8
RE: Im A New Artist Here! - 4/14/2009 3:10:26 PM   
WOW Charles!!!  Your art is INCREDIBLE!

(in reply to labeana)
  Post #: 9
RE: Im A New Artist Here! - 4/14/2009 4:00:51 PM   
gillie

Charles,

One place other than your EBSQ portfolio where you can regularly showcase your artwork on our site is EBSQ's digital sketchbook forum. That becomes your own personal thread where you can continuely update with new work.

We also have a great marketing section here on the forums. Also of interest from our Art & Business forum:

Let us know if there's anything else we can point you toward. There's a ton of great resources here!

Cheers and welcome,
-Amie

Amie Gillingham
co-founder, EBSQ
web: http://www.ebsqart.com
blog: http://blog.ebsqart.com
twitter: http://twitter.com/ebsq
Get out of the vacuum and express yourself!

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 10
RE: Im A New Artist Here! - 4/14/2009 8:01:38 PM   
GreenBiscuit

Welcome Charles!  So glad you are here. 

My Live Journal

Motivate - To provide with an incentive; move to action; impel.

(in reply to gillie)
Post #: 11
RE: Im A New Artist Here! - 4/14/2009 8:06:01 PM   
ArtistaDonna

WOW beautiful mermaid!
try submitting your work to the Bradford Exchange....they may like to commission your work...try ebay also
looking forward to seeing more of your work ;-)

NR

(in reply to GreenBiscuit)
Post #: 12
[Deleted] - 4/15/2009 8:58:51 AM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to ArtistaDonna)
  Post #: 13
RE: Im A New Artist Here! - 4/16/2009 7:54:36 PM   
WELCOME and I love your art!

(in reply to Deleted User)
  Post #: 14
RE: Im A New Artist Here! - 4/16/2009 8:35:20 PM   
lamillerphotography

Hello to both of you! It's good to see you posting!

LisaM

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind-Dr. Suess

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 15
RE: Im A New Artist Here! - 4/20/2009 8:50:52 PM   
AnnieM

Beautiful painting!

Annie's Art
Annie's Live Journal Blog
Annie's Blog
Ann FB

(in reply to lamillerphotography)
Post #: 16
RE: Im A New Artist Here! - 4/25/2009 1:40:55 PM   
almalee

Hi Charles! Welcome!
Your work is outstanding. And make sure that you include a link to your web and blog when you get it up and running. I am relatively new here also, so kinda of learning as I go. I see Jeanne has given you good advisement on where to post. I would add Red Bubble to that list. They have a lively community there for both artists and writers. I think you surrealism would do quite well there. And it is free. Welcome aboard!

I am an artist with a brush, not a fairy with a wand....

)
http://www.almaleeoriginals.com
http://almaleeoriginals-artscape.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Little-Suamico-WI/Alma-Lee/58576441154

Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Official EBSQ Stuff] >> Tech Support >> Im A New Artist Here! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

EBSQ Artists GroupEBSQ Self Representing Artists - A division of EBSQ, LLC  Privacy Policy  Contact EBSQ
© 2000-2005 EBSQ, LLC - All rights reserved - Original artists retain All rights

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode