Art Community Forum | EBSQ Self-Representing Artis Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Hi, I'm (kinda) new

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Official EBSQ Stuff] >> Tech Support >> Hi, I'm (kinda) new Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hi, I'm (kinda) new - 11/19/2006 8:43:40 PM   
toucanne

Hi everyone!
Well, I've farted around long enough, figured out how most things work on EBSQ, time to introduce myself.
I'm 55 and I live in the beautiful Mojave desert, halfway between las Vegas and Death Valley.
It's taken me over a year to figure out what to do with the rest of my life, and that's enough. I figured graduating from patron to full member would help me give myself a kick in the butt and actually get some art done.
I worked as an art director in advertising and commuted to Las Vegas for over 20 years, but now traffic has become a nightmare ( no way am I spending 3 or 4 hours a day on the road ), my night vision isn't what it used to be, and on top of that I have to go spend a month in France every summer to take care of my mother. There are worse fates, I know , but there goes any hope of employment; nobody gives you that kind of vacation time...
The work I have uploaded is old, but I'll use some of it as a starting point to create new stuff.
Soooo, I'm glad to be here, the forums look like fun, so expect to hear (well, read... lol) more from me!

Muriel

Music is the space between the notes.
~Claude Debussy

My Flickr
Post #: 1
RE: Hi, I'm (kinda) new - 11/19/2006 9:14:12 PM   
platypus

Hi Muriel, welcome!

(in reply to toucanne)
Post #: 2
RE: Hi, I'm (kinda) new - 11/19/2006 9:22:13 PM   
GreenBiscuit

Muriel, I have just spent some time with your portfolo you have uploaded so far.  I find it very moving.  I am really looking forward to seeing you on the boards, and hopefully talking with you.  Please join in.  Welcome. 

My Live Journal

Motivate - To provide with an incentive; move to action; impel.

(in reply to toucanne)
Post #: 3
RE: Hi, I'm (kinda) new - 11/19/2006 9:25:34 PM   
toucanne

Thanks, Vicky!
Love your work! I can see you illustrating Alice in Wonderland...

Muriel

~Claude Debussy

My Flickr

(in reply to platypus)
Post #: 4
RE: Hi, I'm (kinda) new - 11/19/2006 9:36:38 PM   
toucanne

Thanks for the kind words, Donna!
I intend to become a fixture on these boards, lol

Muriel

~Claude Debussy

My Flickr

(in reply to GreenBiscuit)
Post #: 5
RE: Hi, I'm (kinda) new - 11/20/2006 12:40:04 AM   
Welcome!!!
Yes.. its very fun hear.. a fun crowd to chat with and show art too..  I'm new to painting only began spring 05 but didn't really get into it till spring 06..  Everyone is very supportive and helpful..

I'll go take a look at your portfolio now..

heather

(in reply to toucanne)
  Post #: 6
RE: Hi, I'm (kinda) new - 11/20/2006 12:43:34 AM   
wow!  your work is amazing!!  Look forward to seeing your new creations!!!  Make sure you post them in the Pimpin or critique thread to show!!!

welcome again,
heather

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 7
RE: Hi, I'm (kinda) new - 11/20/2006 3:26:53 AM   
labeana

Hi Muriel...and welcome! 

I did the graphic art thing too for many years(before computers took over)so it's great to have another graphic artist here....

MY BLOG

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 8
RE: Hi, I'm (kinda) new - 11/20/2006 7:35:14 AM   
Hi Muriel,,,that is a good different name  Welcome,,,I hope you enjoy the site as much as I have,,,,,,did you see the show list for next year?

Heide

(in reply to labeana)
  Post #: 9
RE: Hi, I'm (kinda) new - 11/20/2006 7:34:46 PM   
toucanne

Thanks Heather, Lauren and Heide!
Those are good different names too, I don't know any yet, so it works!
I've been spending (too much, actually...) time reading posts, so I feel I already know all of you...
Yeah, along with everything else, the graphic thing got old. I love doing the work and coming up with great solutions, but hate dealing with AEs and/or clients... More and more, they think they can get their secretary to do their printed pieces in Word, and they loooove their own ideas In ad agencies, they think I'm old (this doesn't happen to guys BTW, I wonder why)! Ha! I'm a boomer! I'll never act my age!
I am working on a piece for the French Revolution show; actually that's what decided me to finally pay up. If I don't enter that, what will I enter?

Muriel

~Claude Debussy

My Flickr

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 10
RE: Hi, I'm (kinda) new - 11/20/2006 7:52:51 PM   
That is a good one to enter,,at least right now it is so wide open. Your entry will not get lost in the crowd .

I was also a graphic designer,,,back in the days when you had to hand ink your lines,,and paste up really meant "paste up"  Those were the days,,,,I bet you, Lauren and I could have some good laughs over some of the aniquainted skills we possess.

(in reply to toucanne)
  Post #: 11
RE: Hi, I'm (kinda) new - 11/20/2006 9:17:35 PM   
toucanne

You're not kidding! I am busy cleaning up my studio, which is full of 20 years' worth of papers I didn't have time to deal with when I was working in Vegas, and I'm coming across all kinds of stuff, light blue pencils, amberlith... Really hard to throw away, but I'm gonna have to learn... I was looking for my Rapidographs, too, but no luck so far. I hope they turn up, I like ink drawing.
Where did you live in California? Two of my daughters live in Southern Cal.

~Claude Debussy

My Flickr

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 12
RE: Hi, I'm (kinda) new - 11/21/2006 6:08:02 AM   
OMG, Where did I not live in Southern Californian? I grew up in Altadena,,,just one tiny city north of Pasadena. Before moving here to Indiana I lived in Rough and Ready up by Nevada City,,,gold country area, foothills before Tahoe.

I left my ripidographes with ink in them and they dried up with time,,,,I haven't even heard the word rapidographes in about 10 years

(in reply to toucanne)
  Post #: 13
[Deleted] - 11/21/2006 4:01:57 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 14
RE: Hi, I'm (kinda) new - 11/21/2006 6:25:20 PM   
bromley2

Welcome Muriel!  YOu will like it here, a great place to be!

Carolyn

http://www.moondancedesign.com
EBAY
My Bonanzle Booth

(in reply to Deleted User)
Post #: 15
RE: Hi, I'm (kinda) new - 11/21/2006 7:17:33 PM   
toucanne

Yeah, I'm feeling right at home already!
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

~Claude Debussy

My Flickr

(in reply to bromley2)
Post #: 16
RE: Hi, I'm (kinda) new - 11/21/2006 7:39:40 PM   
labeana

OMG...amberlith and rubylith....remember using rubber cement to do "paste ups" or "mechanicals" lol....and doing magic marker "comps" on vellum to show clients what it would actually look like? lol....oh and when you could afford to buy a waxer to do mechs instead of rubber cement...whoa...

I still have some mechs from back then and of course the wax is brown now and doesn't hold anything to the board...but there are those nice "tic" marks that shows the camera where to print...or the cutter where to cut....and remember those wonderful tapes with different borders? I loved the checkerboard ones...and all the rub down type....mmmmmmmmm

I feel like I've fallen down the rabbit hole....

MY BLOG

(in reply to toucanne)
Post #: 17
RE: Hi, I'm (kinda) new - 11/21/2006 8:18:02 PM   
toucanne

We couldn't use wax here in the desert, it would melt on the way to the printer's... we used spray mount; wow when I think how much of that crap I must have inhaled... cutting out pix out of magazines for comps and xeroxing to size and coloring the copies, and sending out for type... and how great it was to be able to fax type requirements, the runner only had to make one trip, to pick it up... Remember the process camera, and how handy the camera room was when you got really upset with something and you didn't want anyone to see you cry? And making out in the camera room, but uh, well, never mind that...
Yes, I loved the tapes! Letraset would get crunchy in this climate too so you had to use it pretty quick. Sometimes you'd get an old sheet and the letter would rub down all in pieces
Yup, those were the days...
Muriel

~Claude Debussy

My Flickr

(in reply to labeana)
Post #: 18
[Deleted] - 11/21/2006 8:21:06 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to toucanne)
  Post #: 19
RE: Hi, I'm (kinda) new - 11/21/2006 8:26:57 PM   
toucanne

No fear of becoming a Trev clone, I already almost got into it with him over smoking
But I'm really nice and tolerant, even if I quit 28 years ago...
I did live in England for 6 years though, so I'll be careful!

~Claude Debussy

My Flickr

(in reply to Deleted User)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Official EBSQ Stuff] >> Tech Support >> Hi, I'm (kinda) new Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

EBSQ Artists GroupEBSQ Self Representing Artists - A division of EBSQ, LLC  Privacy Policy  Contact EBSQ
© 2000-2005 EBSQ, LLC - All rights reserved - Original artists retain All rights

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode