Art Community Forum | EBSQ Self-Representing Artis Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Help-Sign Art-Art

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Official EBSQ Stuff] >> Tech Support >> Help-Sign Art-Art Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help-Sign Art-Art - 10/18/2006 8:46:43 AM   
I am new and pioneering my way through the art business with (glass stain) art signs & art.Im confused..lol..about several things.
1. are my breed signs 'art' ? they are all my designs each one is branded with my brand and numbered.
2. ok heres the complicated part..i started painting on glass to create art  as I was inspired to do so..one day i made  some breed sign art and oh my did it take off! Now it seems i am making them all day long and rarely have time to create an inspired piece. I dont want to quit making sign art altogether as it is sort of my 'day job' as artists you may know how that goes.I keep raising the prices to slow them down but they keep buying them anyway..should i keep raising the prices ?? I am already making a fair profit with the current rates. Maybe if i understood what my work is i wouldnt feel so bad about raising the sale prices..I dunno what to do..
I want to do brushwork..i paint with acrylic..i love texture and do like to work with the stain once ina while when im not swamped with signs to make..so i guess what i need to know is how valuable can sign art be?
Michele
  Post #: 1
RE: Help-Sign Art-Art - 10/18/2006 9:39:00 AM   
I also have another pressing question..All the feedback in my store is from my glass sign/glass art sales..i have my brushwork auctions under another ID..Ive provided a link to it from my store in case a sign or glass art purchaser also like my brushwork..
i have a few ppl watching my store for new listings but they are sign art collectors and arent expecting to be getting updates about my brushwork listings. Does anyone else keep their art completely  seperated by type?? Is this a good idea?? er no??
Gosh any thoughts on this subject would be helpful.

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 2
RE: Help-Sign Art-Art - 10/18/2006 10:54:41 AM   
I would think you'd want to have all your work together b/c maybe someone who loved your sign work would possibly want something other from you too?

If you are still selling like hotcakes your sign work.. try a slight increase.. maybe then that would help take away the feeling that you'd rather be doing your brush work.. and combining the two in your store maybe that will pick up???  Just my thoughts..  Great on being successful.. now you got me curious.. i want to see this painted glass.. 

heather

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 3
RE: Help-Sign Art-Art - 10/18/2006 11:26:31 AM   
..well its some very curious stuff..lol not to mention its awful to work with being laquer based..i have them in my ebay store if you want to follow the link at the bottom of my post..

thank you for your reply too..i was worried i might end up talking to myself. My main concern with that subject, is losing my store watchers because they were getting tired of seeing updates of new canvas work instead of goat signs..lol..you see..I havent made  any 'new breed' signs, so to speak, lately which is why i moved my canvas auction elswhere..I have marketed my work as farm and ranch sign art and guess thats what ppl expect when they find my store.

Most of my customers are men and i think they may get confused when they are lookin for hereford signs amongst snowman and landscape paintings..lol..not trying to be mean but i dont think id care for it myself.

yet again im still confused as to whether or not my breed signs would be classified as valuable works of art....what about limited editions or COA..could that make them more valuable...they are fairly expensive to make and a major pain in the butt even when i want to make em..the results however are pretty nice..except for the munchies i get after paintin' em..lol

big sigh-wheres my chips

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 4
RE: Help-Sign Art-Art - 10/18/2006 11:41:01 AM   
labeana

Hi Michele
I think maybe one of the reasons that not many have replied to this is that it's a little unusual....I don't think there are many who post regularly who have experience with this art form.

My take on it is that it's another medium just like paint or clay.....it's what you do with it that makes a difference....after I read your post then looked at your portfolio it seemed to me that the glass stain art is a bit more illustrative than your painted pieces, but that's about it....

It sounds like you should be charging more....if there is that much of a demand it usually means the work is underpriced....

Just my thoughts....it's very interesting to see what you've done with this medium!

Lauren

MY BLOG

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 5
RE: Help-Sign Art-Art - 10/18/2006 12:12:28 PM   
yes i agree..which i why i needed some help..ive just been playing it by ear and trying to adapt to the market..I dont know where to go from here and where exactly i fit in the art word if anywhere..the breed sign art was designed mainly for a service to cater to the farmers and ranchers who bought my western themed glass art..Im a self taught artist and dont know much about the lingo either..guess i need to find someone to describe what i do more effectively to a potential buyer/collector that sounds more geared toward the art side of my work....i think i just have limited knowledge in my field as a whole..sure wish someone could enlighten me further..
thanx for your thoughts
they are all appreciated.
I just signed on to ebsq not to long ago there isnt too much in my portfolio yet..I havent put in the breed sign art at all , as i dont know how to classifly them.i was worried that they wouldnt even be considered art..comparitively speaking. Now if i had taken an art class, surely there would have been a topic on just what exactly 'art' is..lol..

(in reply to labeana)
  Post #: 6
RE: Help-Sign Art-Art - 10/18/2006 2:17:39 PM   
So maybe i could use a phrase like: Branded Glass Illustrative Art and get rid of the phrase 'farm and ranch sign art'..i would just like to get rid of that word 'sign' altogether if possible. How would i incorporate by brushwork..making a logo for this is going to be interesting..
HELP?? ....a little help is much better than no help at all....PUH'LEeeeez
feeling a little pigeon holed-Michele

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 7
RE: Help-Sign Art-Art - 10/18/2006 2:29:49 PM   
i added a picture of a nubian goat sign/art in my portfolio..if anyone  is interested in seeing what exactly it is that we're talking about.

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 8
RE: Help-Sign Art-Art - 10/18/2006 3:16:04 PM   
gillie

Gorgeous!

Why are you thinking this might not be art??? Also, while you're selling well to your niche market, I can easily see others looking at this as a lovely piece to hang in their homes. Here's hoping you get lots of crossover traffic :)

Amie Gillingham
co-founder, EBSQ
web: http://www.ebsqart.com
blog: http://blog.ebsqart.com
twitter: http://twitter.com/ebsq
Get out of the vacuum and express yourself!

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 9
RE: Help-Sign Art-Art - 10/18/2006 3:32:37 PM   
well yeah! the thought has crossed my mind..lol.
thank you...your very sweet..i thought for sure i would get alot of flack from the art industry by calling this part of my work "art" which is why i call it SIGN art..was that dumb er what

(in reply to gillie)
  Post #: 10
RE: Help-Sign Art-Art - 10/18/2006 5:25:36 PM   
ok heres a tought then..all sign art is art.. but not all art is a sign..pfff...lmbo..

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 11
RE: Help-Sign Art-Art - 10/18/2006 8:51:00 PM   
GreenBiscuit

Michele!  Of course it is art!  Art does not have to be oil paint to canvas!  You designed it in your mind and created it with your hands, did you not?  Take a few deep breathes, and settle in here....you will love it! 

My Live Journal

Motivate - To provide with an incentive; move to action; impel.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 12
RE: Help-Sign Art-Art - 10/18/2006 9:03:38 PM   
labeana

actually, Michele....years ago I worked with a designer who did the most fantastic real signs....his work is so high in my book that it takes alot to top it......

stick around long enough on the boards and you will see that some of us have very strong sign/graphic art backgrounds....I personally think it's important for you to stop feeling that your pieces done with stain are better/worse/different than the ones done with traditional "paint"......

MY BLOG

(in reply to GreenBiscuit)
Post #: 13
RE: Help-Sign Art-Art - 10/18/2006 9:04:35 PM   
yep, I created it..but when i ship these internationally i cant describe them as 'art' they are labeled 'manufactured' something or another instead..i was told its not considered art (for shipping purposes anyway) unless its on canvas or paper...:S...my loop of friends dont quite know what to think about my work and whether its classified as art or not either..maybe i should widen my loop of friends..
Thanxs for your reply! You've all made me feel SO much better!

< Message edited by BrandedGlassStudio -- 10/18/2006 9:07:01 PM >

(in reply to GreenBiscuit)
  Post #: 14
RE: Help-Sign Art-Art - 10/18/2006 9:08:47 PM   
labeana

hey, if "manufactured" is better for shipping go with it...we all "manufacture" our art lol....

labels are only important if they help you....not the other way around

MY BLOG

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 15
[Deleted] - 10/19/2006 2:37:22 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to labeana)
  Post #: 16
[Deleted] - 10/19/2006 3:00:00 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to Deleted User)
  Post #: 17
RE: Help-Sign Art-Art - 10/19/2006 3:24:23 PM   
Hmm I dont know why they buy them..but they love them..they've been purchased for homes..barns..shows, gifts etc..and one for a castle in the UK..
There are no two ever the same..yes the overall outline is the same  however I could not make the same looking design/pattern in the paint if i tried..even if the humidity or temerature in my studio fluctuates..the paint takes on all new characteristics..and sometimes the paint doesnt work at all. It breaks down and I hafta scrape it all off and start over.....i dont know if that counts or not...or what that means exactly...

so what about the collectibility of that sort? Is my sign art not collectable then?

I would also like to make prints of some of my brushwork paintings..would that be advisable to do on my Photosmart printer or not...and what type of paper should i print them on..if my printer is acceptable??

Post #: 18
RE: Help-Sign Art-Art - 10/19/2006 3:31:34 PM   
thank you laurie..i do get custom work..i love those the most which is why i dont get too pricy(sp) with them..I really look
forward to those..yes and i have gotten many referrals and repeat customers..I LOVE my ppl..the customer contact is awesome..we kinda all share a common thread..that critter thing you know!Its the fur that binds us..lol

Post #: 19
RE: Help-Sign Art-Art - 10/19/2006 5:18:18 PM   
sorry if i sound over-enthusiastic..but MAN ive had a FEW not so hot jobs in my life.. always trying to work my way towards my goal..and now it kinda seems to be falling into place for me..please be gentle when you burst my bubble..

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Official EBSQ Stuff] >> Tech Support >> Help-Sign Art-Art Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

EBSQ Artists GroupEBSQ Self Representing Artists - A division of EBSQ, LLC  Privacy Policy  Contact EBSQ
© 2000-2005 EBSQ, LLC - All rights reserved - Original artists retain All rights

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode