Art Community Forum | EBSQ Self-Representing Artis Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Chat  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

What type of glue to stick paper onto wood?Help...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Official EBSQ Stuff] >> Getting Started with EBSQ >> What type of glue to stick paper onto wood?Help... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What type of glue to stick paper onto wood?Help... - 4/25/2006 11:29:16 PM   
Traynor7

I am doing alot of black and white work on card type paper, some on lighter paper.
Can someone please suggest what type of glue I could use to stick my artwork onto wood.
I am planning to use wood as a backing to my paper artwork, a little like an icon!
Is there a safe glue that won't come through to the surface of the paper?
Lately I am using Bristol smooth paper by Strathmore. Only one of my black and white drawing is on lighter paper.
I would really appreciate some advice, the last thing I would want is to ruin my work trying to glue it onto wood!!!

Help me please...

Alan
Post #: 1
RE: What type of glue to stick paper onto wood?Help... - 4/26/2006 11:10:25 AM   
labeana

get a good spray adhesive from your art supply store...it's usually in the graphic arts department....lay your paper upside down(outside, the fumes are yucky)on newspaper or something else disposable and spray as directed....pick up by the corners and careful lay it on your wood....put a clean sheet of paper down on top of that and burnish it down with something like a roller or a piece of cardboard....then lift the paper and voila...you should have a nicely adhered piece....

For really heavy card stock, like matt board, I would dilute elmer's a bit with water and brush it on the back, lay it on the wood, protect it with something like wax paper and weigh it down with books until dried...

spray adhesive works well but I really don't know how long that stuff adheres...read the cans, I think some are "repositionable" which I would think means you can lift them and move them...not good for long term adherence....

< Message edited by labeana -- 4/26/2006 11:14:01 AM >

MY BLOG

(in reply to Traynor7)
Post #: 2
RE: What type of glue to stick paper onto wood?Help... - 4/27/2006 5:54:40 AM   
danu

Hey, I do icons!! ;)

Seriously, that's what I was going to recommend too - a GOOD spray adhesive. One thing - pretty important`e: make sure that it says "archival"!!! 3-M makes one that I am using now (but the nozzle leaks - there may be another, I sure hope so!).

(in reply to labeana)
Post #: 3
RE: What type of glue to stick paper onto wood?Help... - 4/27/2006 8:34:45 AM   
shawnmariehardy

Also, make sure that the wood is sealed or you may not have a very long-lasting piece of art.  If you don't seal the wood before you apply your artwork you may end up with the artwork yellowing or coming off because of the natural oils in the wood that can leach into your artwork. You may also get moisture in the wood because wood is very porous.  Ideally the wood should be sanded, sealed with a matte finish polyurethane sealer, then primed.  That is, if you're looking for a more archival piece, although, I am not sure if wood is even considered archival.  Just something to think about.

(in reply to danu)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Official EBSQ Stuff] >> Getting Started with EBSQ >> What type of glue to stick paper onto wood?Help... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

EBSQ Artists GroupEBSQ Self Representing Artists - A division of EBSQ, LLC  Privacy Policy  Contact EBSQ
© 2000-2005 EBSQ, LLC - All rights reserved - Original artists retain All rights

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode