Art Community Forum | EBSQ Self-Representing Artis Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Chat  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

I finally got into the forums!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Official EBSQ Stuff] >> Getting Started with EBSQ >> I finally got into the forums! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I finally got into the forums! - 5/19/2015 7:40:27 PM   
Flyswatter

Hello everyone!

I have been an artist all my life, but I got sidetracked by being a graphic designer because my family likes to eat and have a roof over their heads! Life situations being what they were, I had to leave my last job and go the freelancing route, and lately it just isn't going so well as a lot of my clients are having financial issues. So now I am trying to start up a second career as a professional artist, and it's really scary. I'm feeling discouraged and unloved and hopefully meeting other artists and building friendships with you guys will keep me motivated and will give me ideas. My family still likes eating and being sheltered from the elements!
Post #: 1
RE: I finally got into the forums! - 5/19/2015 9:41:20 PM   
bromley2

Welcome to the forums! So good to have you here. I am sure you will make some friends here and we can all talk about the struggle of being an artist! Welcome here!

Carolyn

http://www.moondancedesign.com
EBAY
My Bonanzle Booth

(in reply to Flyswatter)
Post #: 2
RE: I finally got into the forums! - 5/19/2015 11:57:40 PM   
Flyswatter

I must say, it's kind of quaint here! Who around here still has ICQ, Yahoo, AOL or MSN?

Laura

Laura Ross Design
eBay
Twitter
Facebook

(in reply to Flyswatter)
Post #: 3
RE: I finally got into the forums! - 5/20/2015 7:11:08 AM   
bromley2

Actually, I don't think I have had those because I was never interested in them. Do I have them as links? I do notice that I need to change my links below my post because I don't really do Ebay any more or Bonanzle (which is Bonanza now!). Well, I am a bit behind in keeping my links current, that is for sure! I need to do some housekeeping!

C

EBAY
My Bonanzle Booth

(in reply to Flyswatter)
Post #: 4
RE: I finally got into the forums! - 5/20/2015 1:06:25 PM   
Flyswatter

I am just about to stop using ebay myself. Whenever I post something there, ebay always says I am charging too much and I should be charging 99¢ so that people will be interested.

Nope. It's not going to happen. I'm trying to make a living here. Heck, the paint and paper cost more than that!

It's like people who gripe about my reasonably priced graphic design service (too reasonably priced if you ask me). They don't take into consideration that I've been doing graphic design since the 80s, and also I have to pay $50 a month for Adobe CS, not to mention monthly payments for Office and billing software, and electricity! I actually have some inactive clients who are complaining that they can't park their work on my Dropbox forever and why don't I just pay for more bandwidth. Unbelievable.

Laura Ross Design
eBay
Twitter
Facebook

(in reply to Flyswatter)
Post #: 5
RE: I finally got into the forums! - 5/20/2015 1:07:27 PM   
Flyswatter

I mean Adobe CC.

Man, I've been doing graphic design too long.

Laura Ross Design
eBay
Twitter
Facebook

(in reply to Flyswatter)
Post #: 6
RE: I finally got into the forums! - 5/20/2015 2:50:50 PM   
bromley2

LOL....I wondered...hoped you weren't paying that much for CS! So do you have something special that you are paying that much for CC? I know when I signed up there was a more expensive one, but I don't remember what the difference was. I am just getting the basic one for $9.99. I am really happy about Adobe doing this. It is not a lot of money for me and it keeps my PHotoshop right up to date! I used CS3 for a long time until I found out they would not do an upgrade to CS6 on anything past CS3....then I realized I had to upgrade. What a pain. This way I keep up without having to wonder about whether I can upgrade or not.

I know what you mean about costs. People just don't seem to see that there are expenses that go into a business. I guess they don't get it unless you have a sign that says "WalMart!".....they seem to understand that huge businesses have expenses, but not little ones. Good Grief! Sounds like you have some people who just don't get it. To have inactive clients complaining to you sounds so frustrating!

C

EBAY
My Bonanzle Booth

(in reply to Flyswatter)
Post #: 7
RE: I finally got into the forums! - 5/20/2015 3:59:34 PM   
lamillerphotography

Hi Laura, I have nothing to add to the conversation Just wanted to say hello and welcome!

LisaM

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind-Dr. Suess

(in reply to bromley2)
Post #: 8
RE: I finally got into the forums! - 5/20/2015 4:13:10 PM   
Flyswatter

Right back at ya, Lisa!

Laura Ross Design
eBay
Twitter
Facebook

(in reply to Flyswatter)
Post #: 9
RE: I finally got into the forums! - 5/20/2015 4:16:05 PM   
Flyswatter

Yeah, Carolyn, I pay for the whole suite--I'm also a heavy user of InDesign and Illustrator. Luckily I am also the proud owner of a college student so she and I share the account and get the discount. I have it on my desktop and she has it on her laptop.

Laura Ross Design
eBay
Twitter
Facebook

(in reply to Flyswatter)
Post #: 10
RE: I finally got into the forums! - 5/20/2015 4:25:47 PM   
bromley2

I was thinking that you must use the other programs a lot. I work only with Photoshop and really don't understand any of the others. I don't even use Lightroom, though I keep telling myself I need to sit down and learn it.

I didn't comment about Ebay and not using it any more. I used to do all my sales on Ebay and had fairly consistent sales. Then ebay made a change to their search and Digital Art got lost. My views went down to single digits and sales to zero. I don't think it has improved any since. All I see under digital art are people selling Wallpaper for a quarter...or a penny! Just not worth it for me. Ebay just irritates me any more. I sell mainly on Etsy now and I do ok. Not great, but I am not looking for a lot.

C

EBAY
My Bonanzle Booth

(in reply to Flyswatter)
Post #: 11
RE: I finally got into the forums! - 5/20/2015 6:58:48 PM   
Flyswatter

At any rate, it's very difficult to compete with the likes of this. (And yes, I know the artist is wildly popular on YouTube, but paying $1675 for this is rather like getting a tattoo of a meme.)

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)

Laura Ross Design
eBay
Twitter
Facebook

(in reply to bromley2)
Post #: 12
RE: I finally got into the forums! - 5/20/2015 10:43:57 PM   
bromley2

Oh my. Oh my. Really? What am I missing? Is it the fact that it is signed? It has 56 bids! Boy, I really don't understand.

Ok, I can understand it might be popular for a picture in a child's room, but to pay $1600 for it? Really?

C

EBAY
My Bonanzle Booth

(in reply to Flyswatter)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Official EBSQ Stuff] >> Getting Started with EBSQ >> I finally got into the forums! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

EBSQ Artists GroupEBSQ Self Representing Artists - A division of EBSQ, LLC  Privacy Policy  Contact EBSQ
© 2000-2005 EBSQ, LLC - All rights reserved - Original artists retain All rights

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode