For this piece I decided to actually incorporate artwork done by some children I worked with a few years ago--the hearts were cut out by the children, decorated, and were intended to be strung together and attached with raffia as a Valentine's Day project. The painting includes all kinds of mixed media--feathers, beads, gold leaf, a butterfly cut out from a postage stamp, ribbon (in the rim of the flowerpot), buttons, rhinestones, and raffia, as well as the hearts cut out by the children. I also applied a thick layer of crackle varnish to create some depth and an aged feel. I did paint over the hearts and added gold leaf, but the arrows, little butterfly decorations and stickers were added by the student whose project I cut up to use for this painting (that is why one little heart is upside down!)! We also made tissue-paper and pipecleaner flowers, and these are what gave me the idea for the flowers. I enjoyed adding all the "fun stuff" to the surface of this painting!
heart & flowers
button & antiqued surface
original valentine's day project & tissue paper flowers
By commenting, you agree to our Community Guidelines.
EBSQ in a Nutshell
EBSQ is an online community for artists who want to take control of their own art careers. We're a hub where you can house your full portfolio, link to all of your online venues, easily establish the provenance of your work with our Digital Certificate of Authenticity tools, and connect with a global art community.
Validate an EBSQ COAMain COA Page